Wednesday, June 22, 2005
Chartered Accountant Needed in Small Sub-Tropical Island
To develop for the new post-Airport economy St. Helena desperately needs a local accountancy 'firm'. By the scale of things here, that would be one chartered accountant and several CAT-qualified assistants.
Although I can't put out an official job offer, it would look something like this:
What you need:
- Experience of general business accountancy issues, particularly those of SME businesses
- Creativity and imagination, to deal with the fact that things here work 'differently'
- A reliable sense of humour, for situations when 'working differently' looks remarkably like 'not working'
- The ability to survive without a mobile 'phone, shopping centres, or most of what is called 'Culture', e.g. live music (NB Country & Western does not classify as 'music'); serious theatre; opera; art galleries; ...
- The ability to survive without traffic, random violent crime, commuter trains, EU Regulations (well, some of them anyway), the M25, the London Underground, junkmail, aircraft noise, ...
What you get:
- a salary that's about 1/4 what you would expect in the UK
- a cost of living to match your salary
- a job where your personal contribution really makes a difference to people's lives
- the sort of work-life balance that is dreamed of, but rarely achieved in the UK
- minimum annual temperatures of 8C (maximum about 30C) with sunshine most days (August possibly excepted - ask me again in two months' time)
- unspoilt countryside within 10 minutes drive of your home
- unspoilt countryside within 10 minutes drive of your place of work
- more sea and sea-related activity than you can possibly require
- friendly people who smile and wave even if they don't know you (anyway, they soon will)